Saturday, January 12, 2013

Hot Flashes

Yeah, really about Hot Flashes.  So I have them, but not in the debilitating way.  I don't sweat unless I am in tip top condition, you know aerobic workout 3X per week plus all the other exercise that I do, so right now I don't sweat.  Even when I get a hot flash.

When I get a hot flash, my skin does not get hot.  I want to rip clothing off or open a window, but when I check or have someone else check my heat level, there is none.  How could that be?  I have seen many women drenched in sweat when this occurs to them and we all feel hot and want to feel cooler.

Here's my theory.  Since these apparent flashes are caused by changing hormone levels, I don't think there is anything going on at the skin/nerve level until after a response happens in the brain to whatever is amiss with hormones or the byproduct of reactions going on inside.  Our brain registers a response similar to feeling hot.  In normal women that  sweat, they follow with that reaction which brings the heat to the surface so that it can be sweated (evaporated) away.  The heat/sweat comes after the perceived "warmth"..

Our natural reaction is to try to cool ourselves.  In my body, as I try to cool down, my cool sensing nerves do respond, but it does not change the "warmth" that I feel.  So I am feeling cool and "warmth" at the same time.  And I note that the warmth that I feel, is not the same as feeling warm when I am in a sauna, or in the sun on a hot day.  There is definitely two different things going on.  Someone should figure this out.  What is happening in the brain?

Does anyone really care?

No comments:

Post a Comment